Confessions of a FlyBaby

My adventures in organizing my life with the FlyLady (www.flylady.net).

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Clean the Spice Cabinet - CHECK!

We're making progress!

Here's what I've done so far today (besides my normal morning routine stuff):

1. Flylady's Spot Alert -- cleaned out our upstairs linen closet.

2. Feather dusted & vacuumed the middle level - entrance, hallway, living room, family room, kitchen, & dining room

3. Tackled the dreaded spice cabinet!! I set the timer, ran a sink of sudsy water, and pulled the lazy susan from each of the three shelves. Went through those spice jars and was amazed at how many duplicates there were! Combined jars when I could. Scrubbed those lazy susans, wiped down the cabinets, placed the lazy susans back in, and replaced the jars in alphabetical order. I used to think only people with OCD did things like that, but now I realize that if I want to find things when I need them, I need to know exactly where they are.

It took me about 45 minutes to finish with that cabinet, and it was time well spent. I was so happy with the spice cabinet that I . . .

4. Cleaned the cabinet above the coffee maker. Found some things to fling, cleaned the shelves, made it all nice and neat.

5. Couldn't stop there, so I continued to the cabinet above the stove. Found more things to fling. Placed baking pieces on one side, cooking ingredients such as cooking wine, olive oil, etc. on the other. Now everything is within reach and easy to find.

All of my kitchen organizing took me about an hour to complete. Much less time than I had thought, which was probably my reason for procrastinating.

The pantry is staring me down, but I really think I can win that one too. I did some flinging before we left for the beach (as I was packing some snacks), so it shouldn't be too bad.

I love this feeling of accomplishment, but even more I love the feeling of being in control of my home instead of being a slave to it. Little by little I'm finding the peace and joy I've been looking for between these walls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home